Happy Earth Day everyone! :)
Last Wednesday, April 22nd , marked the 45th anniversary of Earth Day. It is an annual event held to raise awareness of the environmental protection and everything that is of concern to our planet. It was a very lovely gesture from the peace activist John McConnell who first proposed the idea of honoring Earth. The event carried on happening on a yearly basis in attempt to to remind us of what we should do towards this lovely planet
But how about if we treated everyday as Earth day? :)
I suggest this because we need to do so..
Environmental issues such as pollution is something that should not be the concern of only a few individuals or organisations..
We have created many of these environmental issues. We then realised we probably have gone too far with them and now it is time to act..
Some of these issues, unfortunately, got too big to ignore and we all have to really think about and take action in our daily life..
What we give or take from Earth will come back to us sooner or later. It is a simple equation. It is as simple as that, however, many of us have been abusing this equation and now we ask each one of us to contribute and make a difference
Here is a simple guide all of us can do to help planet Earth:
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Each year we recycle more and that is beautiful. However, we also create more garbage. Therefore, here is what we should be doing to decrease the amount of waste:
- Buy only what we think we need and use all of it. If we can not use it, we give it to someone else to use it
- Stop using plastic bags and always carry your purchased items in a reusable shopping bag
- Buy one water bottle and keep it as long as possible. I have kept mine for over a year now and water never tasted better :)
- Avoid, avoid, avoid disposables! And if you had to have them, use them again
- Look for goods that you know you can recycle even thought the alternative to these goods looks a little bit better
- Support and buy products made of recycled material. That way we would be saving mother Earth from a lot of trouble
- Recycle, recycle, recycle. Thousands of things can be made of recycled items. Did you know that T-shirts can be made by recycling soda bottles? :)
These are simple things and most of us know about them. However, the application needs improvement form everyone
Look at what we can do with recycling.. :)
If we do not efficiently apply the concept of the three R's, we are basically going to create even more environmental issues. And before I let you go, I am going to leave with only two facts that I have come across and they just shocked me. I will let think about them and make a decision:
1. According to various sources, between 3 and 6 billion trees are cut down each year! Approximately 12 million trees each day and around 35% goes to paper making and production..!
2. It takes about 25 trees to make one ton of newspaper
Way too many - Way too much
The decision is yours dear reader :)